Sunday, March 1, 2015

Simulated Boxing Guide for Potential Boxers

A philosopher who is not taking part in discussions is like a boxer who never goes into the ring.
I have an idea. For future blogs I want to write dialogues. There's good reasons to write in this medium. For one, it's a lot of fun! Second, it tends to interest the layman more. Third,  it has a curious knack to penetrate complicated ideas and give them life. I was initially exposed to this style by Plato, of course; but Boston College professor of philosophy Dr. Peter Kreeft made it really intoxicating. It's almost impossible not to be lured into the conversation. Where expository prose often brings to mind a boring lecture; a conversation is dynamic, and has a life of its own. So, as Kreeft often uses Socrates as the skilled questioner of the philosophers in the history of ideas, I'll do the same. But I won't always make Socrates the questioner. It just depends on whose views I'm representing.

No comments:

Post a Comment